NORTHAMPTON, MA / ACCESSWIRE / October 26, 2022 / Our leadership in forest stewardship centers on two targets that are driving our progress toward our Vision 2030 goal.
The first target, to source 100% of our fiber from sustainably managed forests or recovered fiber, applies to the fiber we buy from a network of landowners and suppliers.
The second target, to conserve and restore 1 million acres - about 400,000 hectares - of ecologically significant forestland, is one we are pursuing both within and outside of our supply chains. Conservation and restoration are two areas where we can have a significant global impact through our long-standing partnerships with nonprofits such as World Wildlife Fund (WWF), the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation (NFWF) and The Nature Conservancy.
Goal: Lead forest stewardship efforts globally
- Awarded inaugural Forest Excellence Awards, recognizing the exceptional contributions of fiber supply employees to environmental stewardship
- 66% of fiber sourced verified as being derived from a sustainably managed forest or is third-party certified to a forest management standard such as FSC®, PEFC™ or SFI®
- All fiber we source directly mapped to the forest of origin using our ForSite™ mapping software
- Source 100% of our fiber from sustainably managed forests or recovered fiber while safeguarding forests, watersheds and biodiversity
236,696 acres (23%) of ecologically significant forestland have been conserved and restored since 2019.
- Expanded strategic partnerships, such as joining Forests Forward, a World Wildlife Fund initiative to deliver effective nature-based strategies for forests around the world
- Advanced collaboration to enhance or restore over 220,000 acres through our Forestland Stewards Partnership with U.S. National Fish and Wildlife Foundation
- Continued our partnership with WWF to restore 250 acres of tropical forestland in Brazil's Mogi Guacu River Basin by the end of 2022
- Improved forest management on 16,446 acres as part of due diligence efforts in ForSiteTM
Target: 1 M
- Conserve and restore 1 million acres (400,000 hectares) of ecologically significant forestland
About International Paper
International Paper (NYSE: IP) is a leading global supplier of renewable fiber-based products. We produce corrugated packaging products that protect and promote goods, and enable worldwide commerce, and pulp for diapers, tissue and other personal care products that promote health and wellness. Headquartered in Memphis, Tenn., we employ approximately 38,000 colleagues globally. We serve customers worldwide, with manufacturing operations in North America, Latin America, North Africa and Europe. Net sales for 2021 were $19.4 billion. See how we're building a better future for people, the planet, and our company at internationalpaper.com/Vision-2030.
SOURCE: International Paper Company