VANCOUVER, BC / ACCESSWIRE / December 7, 2021 / Viva Gold Corp. (TSXV:VAU)(OTCQB:VAUCF) (the "Company" or "Viva") is pleased to provide an update on its environmental, social and governance ("ESG") efforts for its Tonopah Gold Project ("Tonopah, or Project") located near Tonopah Nevada.
"Viva made significant progress this year in working with its regulators to advance the environmental and social baseline study efforts required to support future Mining Plan of Operations ("MPoO") review under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) for the Project, and other Nevada State environmental permitting requirements. These efforts demonstrate our focus and commitment to de-risk and add value to Tonopah by moving the Project towards feasibility and permitting. To add to this focus, in July 2021, the Company staked an additional 69 unpatented lode mining claims at the project", states James Hesketh, President & CEO.
On March 16, 2021, the Tonopah project team participated in a virtual baseline kickoff meeting with Bureau of Land Management ("BLM") staff, which subsequently resulted in the receipt of a completed Baseline Data Needs Assessment Form ("BNAF") dated May 16, 2021. The BNAF provided guidance from BLM Resource Specialists concerning baseline environmental and study requirements to support NEPA review of a future MPoO. In addition, on March 18, 2021 the Team conducted a virtual meeting with the Nevada Department of Environment Bureau of Mining Regulation and Reclamation ("NDEP BMRR") to present the Project concept and to discuss characterization of groundwater and ore, waste rock and pit wall geochemistry. On the basis of those meetings and the BNAF, the Company has proceeded with contracted baseline surveys:
- Initial biological surveys were performed for specific wildlife species in August 2021, the results of which was provided to the BLM in November 2021. Additional biological surveys were not performed in 2021 as the seasonally-appropriate time to conduct those surveys had passed. Viva intends to contract for the additional surveys identified in the BNAF beginning in early 2022 during the seasonally-appropriate time.
- In November 2020 a cultural resources re-survey was conducted over the core of the project area. A draft re-survey report has been reviewed by the BLM. A final report is being prepared to incorporate and address the BLM's review comments.
- Groundwater level and water quality monitoring events were conducted in December 2020 and February, April, July and October 2021.
- Seeps and springs survey and water quality monitoring events were conducted in April, July and October 2021.
- Ongoing ore, waste rock and pit wall geochemical characterization continue with initiation of humidity cell tests (HCTs) November 15, 2021. Meteoric Water Mobility Procedure (MWMP) analyses are also scheduled for November. Mineralogy analyses is scheduled to begin during 1Q 2022. The Project's geochemical characterization program incorporates BLM and NDEP BMRR comments following Agency review of the Mine Rock Geochemical Characterization Work Plan.
- The 2021 Golden Eagle and Raptor nest aerial survey was completed November 13, 2021 and a final report is expected prior to year end 2021.
This work supplements and updates prior information developed to complete the Environmental Assessment of the Tonopah Project dated December 2003, which subsequently resulted in the issuance of the Exploration Plan of Operations (ExPoO) that the Company is now working under.
James Hesketh, MMSA-QP, has approved the scientific and technical disclosure contained in this press release. Mr. Hesketh is not independent of the Company; he is an Officer and Director.
About Viva Gold Corp:
Viva Gold Corp holds 100% of the Tonopah Gold Project, a large land position consisting of approximately 10,500 acres with demonstrated high-grade gold in the ground, on the prolific Walker Lane Trend in western Nevada, 30 kilometers south-east of the world class Round Mountain gold mine. The project has a measured and indicated contained mineral gold resource of 326k ounces at a gold grade of 0.79 grams/tonne and 181k ounces of Inferred resource at 0.67 grams/tonne. Viva is advancing the project towards feasibility and permitting.
Viva is committed to Environmental, Social and Responsible Governance ("ESG") of its business. We realize these issues are also important to investors. We strive to operate in a manner that supports environmental and social initiatives and responsible corporate governance.
Viva Gold trades on the TSX Venture exchange "VAU", on the OTCQB "VAUCF" and on the Frankfurt exchange "7PB". Viva has a tight capital structure with 55.6 million shares outstanding and a strong management team and board with both gold exploration and production experience. Viva is building market awareness as the Company advances the high-grade Tonopah Gold Project. For additional information on Viva Gold and the Tonopah Gold Project, please visit our website: www.vivagoldcorp.com.
For further information please contact:
James Hesketh, President & CEO
Valerie Kimball, Director Investor Relations
This news release contains certain information that may constitute forward-looking information or forward-looking statements under applicable Canadian securities legislation (collectively, "forward-looking information"), including but not limited to drilling operations and estimates of gold mineral resource at the Tonopah Gold Project. This forward-looking information entails various risks and uncertainties that are based on current expectations, and actual results may differ materially from those contained in such information. These uncertainties and risks include, but are not limited to, the strength of the global economy, inflationary pressures, pandemics, and permitting issues related to ESG initiatives; the price of gold; operational, funding and liquidity risks; the potential for achieving targeted drill results, the degree to which mineral resource estimates are reflective of actual mineral resources; the degree to which factors which would make a mineral deposit commercially viable are present; the risks and hazards associated with drilling and mining operations; and the ability of Viva to fund its capital requirements. Risks and uncertainties about the Company's business are more fully discussed in the Company's disclosure materials filed with the securities regulatory authorities in Canada available at www.sedar.com. Readers are urged to read these materials. Viva assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking information or to update the reasons why actual results could differ from such information unless required by law.
Cautionary Note to U.S. Investors --- The United States Securities and Exchange Commission permits U.S. mining companies, in their filings with the SEC, to disclose only those mineral deposits that a company can economically and legally extract or produce. We use certain terms in this report, such as "measured," "indicated," "inferred," and "resources," that the SEC guidelines strictly prohibit U.S. registered companies from including in their filings with the SEC.
Neither TSX Venture Exchange nor its Regulation Services Provider (as that term is defined in the policies of the TSX Venture Exchange) accepts responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release.
SOURCE: Viva Gold Corp.