LOS ANGELES and SAN DIEGO, CA / ACCESSWIRE / December 28, 2020 / IDW Media Holdings, Inc., (OTC PINK:IDWM), an integrated media company, provided the following year-end news round-up:
Netflix Announces Renewal of "Locke & Key" for Season 3
Netflix has announced the renewal of supernatural horror drama Locke & Key for a third season - even before the premiere of Season 2, which is slated for 2021. The show, distributed by IDW Entertainment, is based on the critically acclaimed hit graphic novels from Joe Hill and Gabe Rodríguez, published by IDW. "Netflix's decision ratchets up the enormous potential of 'Locke & Key' across all channels. We are extremely excited to continue working with Joe and Gabe to further elaborate the 'Locke & Key' franchise," said IDW's CEO, Ezra Rosensaft.
IDW's Yoe Books Imprint Debuts Invisible Men: The Trailblazing Black Artists of Comic Books
Using primary source material from World War II-era Black newspapers and magazines, this compelling book by comics historian Ken Quattro profiles pioneers like E.C. Stoner, a renowned fine artist of the Harlem Renaissance and the first Black artist to draw comic books; Owen Middleton, whose life sentence in Sing Sing became a cause célèbre championed by historian Will Durant, leading both to freedom and a career in comics; Matt Baker, who drew Vooda, the first groundbreaking Black comic book hero; and many more. Each man's personal struggles and triumphs are represented as they broke through into an industry formerly occupied only by whites.
IDW and Imprint Top Shelf Productions Unveil Summer Line-Up for Young Readers
This coming summer may seem impossibly far off, but IDW is already well along in its preparations. Summer is a crucial time to reach and engage young readers and educators preparing their fall curricula. That's why we are excited about our line-up of compelling graphic novels for middle-grade and young adult readers. These books run the gamut from outright fun to introspective and even educational, further evidence that IDW and Top Shelf are home to a diverse library of fiction and non-fiction graphic novels.
- Better Place, by debut author Duane Murray and Shawn Daley (Samurai Grandpa), tells the story of Dylan, a young boy in a new neighborhood whose best (and only) friend is his grandad. Together, they imagine themselves as Red Rocket and Kid Cosmo. Daily, the superhero and his sidekick save the world from evil. But when Dylan learns that his grandad has gone to "a better place", he embarks on a grand adventure to find his superhero.
- Chibi-Usagi: Attack of the Heebie Chibis, by Stan Sakai and Julie Fujii Sakai, makes the rich world of multiple award winner Usagi Yojimbo accessible to readers of all ages in this chibi-style original graphic novel. In this tale, Chibi-Usagi and his friends must rescue a village of clay people from the threat of the dreaded Salamander King.
- The Girl and the Glim, the exciting debut graphic novel from animator India Swift, with colors by Michael Doig, gives the classic new kid in school story a wild science fiction twist. Thirteen-year-old Bridgette thinks that the bullies in her new school are making her life as bad as things can get, until the arrival of an alien being from outer space. This wildly imagined, beautifully drawn story captures the importance of friendship, human connection, and doing what's right.
- Marie Curie: A Quest For Light, written by Frances Andreasen Østerfelt and internationally acclaimed Danish astrophysicist Anja Cetti Andersen with art by Anna Blaszczyk, focuses on the exceptional life and groundbreaking research of Marie Curie, the first female Nobel Prize winner, who expanded scientific understanding and created new opportunities for women.
- Pirate Penguin vs. Ninja Chicken Vol. 3: Macaroni and Bees?!?, by Ray Friesen, is the latest installment featuring the ridiculous adventures of the fan-favorite flightless fighting friends.
- The Science of Surfing: A Surfside Girls Guide to the Ocean, by Kim Dwinell, is the coolest way to experience a beach vacation and learn at the same time. Sam and Jade, from the pages of the beloved graphic novel series The Surfside Girls, explain the science behind the amazing wonders of the sea. Plus, there's a whole step-by-step chapter on how to surf.
For more information on IDW title visit IDWpublishing.com, and follow IDW on social media.
‘Locke and Key' Renewed for Season 3 at Netflix Ahead of Season 2 Premiere by Joe Otterson in Variety. "News of the renewal comes ahead of the debut of the show's second season, which is set to launch in 2021…Season 2 of the show was announced back in March."
IDW to Publish a Celebration of Trailblazing Black Comic Book Creators by Ethan Moss in CBR.com. "The long history of comic books has seen many artists rise to stardom. Now, Kenn Quattro and IDW Publishing have explored an often-overlooked aspect of history by exploring the Black artists who helped to create the worlds of superheroes."
Licensing Hotline: Godzilla Reawakens in Middle-Grade Comics by Karen Raugust in Publishers Weekly. "IDW is building on its longtime relationship with Toho, signing a new licensing deal that expands its classic Godzilla publishing program into younger age brackets; formats include art books, coloring books, and journals; and categories such as tabletop games and puzzles."
Star Wars: Writer Daniel José Older Opens Up on Creating Adventures in The High Republic by Daniel McMahon in CBR.com. "It's funny thinking about age-range in Star Wars because most Star Wars content is pretty much all ages - some skews older and some skews younger. With The High Republic Adventures though, I really wanted to make sure that the young people stayed front and center, right there in the spotlight."
About IDW Media Holdings:
IDW (OTCPINK: IDWM) is an integrated media company providing uniquely compelling stories and characters for global audiences. Our IDW Publishing and IDW Entertainment segments acquire IP for holistic franchise development across comics and graphic novels, television, theatrical, games, merchandise and other entertainment platforms and leverage established stories from our creative partners.
IDW Media Holdings
SOURCE: IDW Media Holdings Inc.